Easy, healthy dinners are my jam now and this chicken sheet pan dinner is a perfect example. In my house, dinners need to be healthy, easy and kid-friendly. Roasting vegetables are almost the only way I can get the kids to eat veggies. We are a busy family and the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen cooking. Sheet pan dinners are not only a quick prep but also an easy cleanup, which saves a lot of time.
While this sheet pan meal has broccoli, sweet potatoes, onions, and peppers, you can easily switch up the vegetables for an equally delicious dinner. I often have this dinner using whatever veggies I have on hand or need to use up before they go bad.
You can make this dinner ahead of time, making it perfect for a game-day meal to save money from eating out. Just get home and reheat and serve.
How to make sheet pan chicken with sweet potatoes and peppers
First, gather all of the ingredients at once. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 1 in cubes. Put in a bowl to toss with olive oil and salt until coated.
Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 min.
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, chop the rest of the vegetables and the chicken. Put them in the same bowl to combine, including the chicken and toss with olive oil, salt, lemon, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven and transfer the remaining vegetables and chicken to the baking sheet. Stir to combine and space out for even cooking.
Bake for an additional 15-20 min or until browned, stirring about halfway.
Vegetables are done when they are fork-tender.
What is sheet pan cooking?
Sheet pan cooking is baking an entire meal on one pan. It makes less of a mess, saves on dishes, saves time and gets the meal to the table quickly.
Everything is roasted together on one pan and uses one bowl during the meal prepping.
Can you cook chicken and veggies in the same pan?
Yes! As long as you cook the chicken and veggies at the same time, there are no health concerns.
How do I eat sheet pan chicken dinner?
There are many ways that you can eat this meal:
- Create a healthy bowl with quinoa or brown rice
- Eat as a complete meal by itself
- Allow it to cool and toss it in a salad
- Add it to noodles and a favorite sauce
What vegetables go well with chicken?
Green, yellow, orange, or red bell peppers, potatoes, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, summer squash, zucchini, carrots, celery, green beans, or even tomatoes.
Note: If the vegetable is as hard or harder than the sweet potato, then roast it with the sweet potato so that you can get a jump on the roasting and all of the vegetables can all be finished at the same time. Some examples of this would be potatoes or Brussel sprouts.
Can I make substitutions?
Yes, feel free to switch out the vegetables to those you and your family love most. Create your own variation of this easy dinner that even picky eaters will enjoy! Often, I will use whatever vegetables I have on hand.
Can I freeze chicken and veggies?
Yes! This also freezes well and can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You can store this meal in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Make sure that it is stored in an airtight container.
How Can I make this a keto meal?
You can create a keto sheet pan chicken dinner using chicken thighs instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts which will increase the fat content. Even with the sweet potatoes, this sheet pan dinner is low carb.
Need a light dessert with this meal?
This make-ahead, award-winning, easy banana pudding would be perfect for your family and company.
Sheet Pan Chicken Dinner with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers
- sheet pan
- 3 cups Sweet potato peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
- 2 cups Broccoli roughly chopped
- 1 cup Red onion chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper chopped
- 1½-2 lbs Chicken breast chopped into 1 in pieces
- 3 tbsp Olive oil divided
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Garnish with chopped parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl combine sweet potato, 1Tbs olive oil, 1 tsp salt and toss until coated. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- In the same bowl, combine the remaining vegetables, chicken, 2 Tbs olive oil, 2 tsp salt, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Take sweet potatoes out of oven and transfer all remaining vegetables and chicken to baking sheet with sweet potatoes and stir ingredients.
- Bake for 15-20 additional minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven when all vegetables are fork tender. Enjoy!