If you are new to meal prep, this Burrito Bowl recipe will be a great way to start. Not only will you be able to customize this to your individual preference, but burrito ingredients tend to taste fresher all week as opposed to other meal preps.
Once you learn the basics for burrito bowl ingredients, your options are practically endless. I’ll give you a list of optional add-ins down below.
Healthy Meal Prep tricks for better meals
A good burrito bowl list of ingredients can set you up for a week of meal prepping delicious variety that you won’t even notice you’re eating meal prep even when Friday rolls around.
- Cook a couple of different meats to use for the bowls.
- There is no such thing as too many veggies in a bowl.
- Alternate between rice and quinoa for variety.
- Black beans or pinto…it’s your choice.
- Store the food in containers with tight lids.
- Consider storing ingredients like romaine lettuce in different containers so they stay fresh throughout the week.
Other Ideas for Burrito Ingredients
- Grilled onions
- Roasted bell peppers
- Black Olives
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Lettuce (iceberg or romaine)
- Roasted broccoli
- Lime cilantro rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Tortilla chips
- Chicken breasts
- Ground turkey
- Grilled steak
- Tortilla for a chicken burrito
Quick tip: I often choose my veggies for burrito bowls by cleaning out my fridge of any vegetables that will soon be expiring or going bad.
What kind of salsa should I use for my burrito bowl?
The short answer? Choose your favorite! You can use several different salsas in this recipe. If you have a store-bought salsa that you love, then feel free to use it in this recipe.
Quick Homemade Pico de Gallo
For this recipe, I whipped up my own simpler version of Pico de Gallo by combining 1 diced Roma tomato, 2 Tbs chopped cilantro, and 2 Tbs diced red onion. I stirred it up and was done. It’s very simple and fresh! It’s completely up to you how complicated you would like to be for this recipe.
Can I eat a burrito bowl cold?
One of the reasons I love this recipe is that it’s not only quick and easy to put together, but you can also eat it warm or cold. This makes it perfect as a lunch where you may not have access to a microwave (think school lunches for your kids). I prefer it when the rice has been warmed, but it’s not necessary.
How do I eat a burrito bowl?
You can eat a burrito bowl in a couple of different ways. I prefer to eat it as is- straight from the bowl. Some people (kids), love to put ranch on top of this, but I personally don’t feel like it’s necessary.
Put it in a burrito: yes, I said it. It’s got all the components of a burrito and can be used to make burritos very quickly and easily.
Eat the burrito bowls with a side of chips. You will get a deliciously crunchy, salty taste from the chip while you eat through your burrito bowl.
Burrito bowls can last up to 3-4 days when stored in the refrigerator. Consider using a lunch box where you can separate the wet ingredients from the dry if you plan on meal prepping and the ingredients are sitting together for an extended period. I prefer storing the ingredients separately and assembling them just before eating, but it is completely up to you.
These (Amazon affiliate link) storage containers make storage easy and reheating safely in the microwave.
Other Mexican Burrito Bowls for YOu
If beef is another favorite meat for you, you will probably enjoy this Copycat Chipotle Beef Barbacoa Recipe in a Crock-Pot.
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 3 cups brown rice can substitute white rice or riced cauliflower
- ¾ cup cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp lime, about 1 whole lime
- 1¼ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cooked and chopped
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed can substitute for pinto beans
- ¾ cup salsa or homemade pico de gallo
- Avocado (1), diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup shredded mexican cheese
- salt, to taste
- Cook and prepare all ingredients. Stir together rice, cilantro, and lime juice until combined. Place desired amount inside four serving bowls. Divide each ingredient evenly between serving bowls and place ingredients on top of the rice. Enjoy!